• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[RS Approved] REVOLUTIONARY-The 5 minutes or less ROOT without data loss!!!

This is a discussion on [RS Approved] REVOLUTIONARY-The 5 minutes or less ROOT without data loss!!! within the HTC Thundebolt Hacking Guides forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Hacks category; This is the newest and preferred way of rooting your Thunderbolt! Thanks to porsche996 for taking the time to put this together for us. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: [RS Approved] REVOLUTIONARY-The 5 minutes or less ROOT without data loss!!!

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times

[RS Approved] REVOLUTIONARY-The 5 minutes or less ROOT without data loss!!!

This is the newest and preferred way of rooting your Thunderbolt!

Thanks to porsche996 for taking the time to put this together for us.

I took the plunge, and I have to say it was well worth it! Basically, there is now a Root method that eliminates large download files, and pretty much any real problems (at least it worked flawlessly on my phone). Usual disclaimer (you're responsible for your own actions) applies.

This is, LITERALLY, less than a 5 minute process, assuming you have all the files/preliminary stuff done first. Having to do "all" the preliminary should take you another couple minutes, at most... This is THAT simple!

Information you need to have first:

1) Serial number of your cell phone
    2) HBOOT version number
    3) HTC FastBoot drivers
    4) Super User file: su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

5) Uninstall HTC Sync drivers (or any other auto-sync programs you may have on your computer; you may just need to turn them "off"; I don't know.)

6) Set phone to USB Debugging on, and Always awake

To get into HBOOT, turn your phone off. Then press the volume down button along with the power button. Press and hold, and within 5 seconds it'll come on. This method supports versions 1.04.0000 and 1.05.0000.

Step-by-step Revolutionary rooting instructions:

Step 1) Install HTC FastBoot driver

Step 2) Go to REVOLUTIONARY and follow the instructions to download the file revolutionary-0.4pre3.zip. It will require you to know your cell phone's serial number, and what version of HBOOT you have.

Step 3) Plug your phone in, select "usb storage", and copy the Super User file to the SDCard somewhere (easiest if you don't put it into a folder on your SD card.) Don't unzip it.

Step 4) Plug in your phone, and when the prompt comes up, set to "Charge Only". Disregard any notices and don't install any additional drivers or whatnot.

Step 5) Unzip the Revolutionary zip file into a folder somewhere you can find it.

Step 6) Run the file "revolutionary.exe".

Step 7) Follow the prompts on the screen. It's pretty straightforward. It will reboot to HBOOT a couple times, the last time you'll see it at the top saying "S-Off".

Step 8) It asks you if you want to install clockwork recovery. Select "Y". You'll need this...

You now have a permanent custom recovery on your phone.

Now to actually Root it:

Step 9) From the HBOOT, scroll down to "Bootloader" using the volume keys, and select using the power button. Then scroll/select "Recovery" Yes, it seems sluggish...that's fine. Don't be impatient; it'll let you scroll at some point...

Step 10) Wait! You'll see the HTC spash screen for a bit, and then eventually you'll be into Clockwork Recovery

Step 11) Scroll to "install zip from sdcard" and select.

Step 12) Scroll to "choose zip from sdcard"

Step 13) Find the super user file (su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip) (it'll be at the bottom of the directory list if you put it in the base directory of the sd card) and select it.

Step 14) Sit back and watch the quick show... If all goes well, it will install and show you when it's finished.

Step 15) Reboot the phone (keep selecting "back" until you have the option to reboot the phone)

If you are getting Force Closes from Superuser after you are finished, please reboot into Clockwork Recovery and FIX PERMISSIONS.

YOU'RE NOW ROOTED!!! On a STOCK ROM! No loss of data. No re-setup. Nothing...

I show 15 steps, but honestly, this is about as easy as it gets. I broke things down into very small baby steps so literally anybody can follow it. For the record, my phone had the recovery 1.04.0000 on it, so **maybe** there will be a difference if you have another one, but I doubt it.

Next steps are same as any other root. I always install Rom Manager from the marketplace, as that lets you boot into recovery quickly, and do backups, flash ROMs, etc. from there.

The only "hitch" I had while doing this was when I first started up the phone, it was stuck in 1x data mode. I turned it to "LTE Only", then back to the "CDMA/LTE Auto", and haven't had any issues since. It could have been I didn't wait long enough for the 4G signal to be picked up; I don't know, but I figured I'd mention that just in case.

I HIGHLY recommend reading this page:

public:revolutionary [RootWiki]
    As it's Unrevoked's full information on this software. Take in mind, this is BETA software, and I'm not involved in it in any way, shape, or form. I just did this on my phone, and thought I would provide a quick "how-to" to help out others that are curious. I can't answer any technical questions and/or issues with the software, as again, I HAVE NO INVOLVEMENT IN IT'S CREATION!!!

If anybody can take a look at my steps and want to clarify/expand on anything, by all means feel free!

------------------
    Edit:

There is now a Youtube video online with a How-To using this method. It is not my video, but it is complete. It has a couple things slightly different (different order of getting license key, and different order for copying the Super User file to the phone). However, it won't make a difference as far as the overall operation goes.

How to Root - HTC Thunderbolt (No Data Wipe! Newest & Fastest) - YouTube

I
    n the event that you need to un-root your Thunderbolt after following these instructions, follow these instructions.
    [RS Guide] How Return to Stock from Revolutionary Root
    Last edited by Tallica; 09-29-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: updated su file

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Oh, forgot to mention a few things about my phone. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but I'll list them in case someone has a problem, and someone smarter than me needs to fix it:

Android version:

Baseband version:
    1.39.00.0627r, 0.01.69.0625r

Kernal version:
    2.6.32.21-g0606a3a
    htc-kernal@and18-2 #1
    Thu Apr 14 11:59:44 CST 2011

Build number:
    1.70.605.0 CL343953 release-keys

Software number:

Browser version:
    WebKit/533.1

PRI Version:
    1.41-002, 1.64-002

PRL Version:

ERI Version:

My phone was totally stock prior to doing this root method. I DID have the OTA update in August. I've had the phone about a month and a half, now.

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Thanks Porsche....I posted it in my sig link....I figured it gives people more inf than just going to the Revolutionary site. Glad it worked for you so easily....I may try it later...the only thing I don't like is having to give my serial number out, but I guess the md5 sum is almost the same thing....and it does use your serial number when rooting the other way too. The speed is what impresses me the most. After you are rooted, did you install the latest update for rooted users?

Also, we're not sure at this point if it can be unrooted with our current method. I think it can, but we're just not sure yet. Please use with caution. We're not responsible for any damage to your device.

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicbuffalo View Post
    Thanks Porsche....I posted it in my sig link....I figured it gives people more inf than just going to the Revolutionary site. Glad it worked for you so easily....I may try it later...the only thing I don't like is having to give my serial number out, but I guess the md5 sum is almost the same thing....and it does use your serial number when rooting the other way too. The speed is what impresses me the most. After you are rooted, did you install the latest update for rooted users?
    I haven't applied any updates since rooting. About all I did was install ROM Manager, confirm it's working, and install SetCPU. The phone is doing a nandroid backup right now.

So I'm running the MR2 radio (the OTA update a little bit ago), and that's it. I haven't even started looking around for any additional updates; all the other root methods involved flashing a "new" ROM that came out prior to the OTA upgrade, so I'm assuming that's why they need an additional update for root. Since this Root method took care of it without wiping data or a different ROM, the OTA radio update is still there on the phone.

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    the only thing I don't like is having to give my serial number out, but I guess the md5 sum is almost the same thing
    I agree, but I can see why their development team would want to know it; they'll be able to track which phone has what problem (if any), and it'll be easier for them to figure out when issues (if any) get fixed. It didn't bother me, much. They say on their website that the final version will not be key locked, and a serial number won't be needed, so if someone doesn't like that idea they can wait around and try the full release version later on.

I'm hoping that if more people try it, the sooner they'll be able to verify any bugs, the sooner they can get the full release version out there. What's amazing to me is that this root method works for a LOT of different phones...I wanted to do it before HTC finds & patches this exploit!

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche996 View Post
    I haven't applied any updates since rooting. About all I did was install ROM Manager, confirm it's working, and install SetCPU. The phone is doing a nandroid backup right now.

So I'm running the MR2 radio (the OTA update a little bit ago), and that's it. I haven't even started looking around for any additional updates; all the other root methods involved flashing a "new" ROM that came out prior to the OTA upgrade, so I'm assuming that's why they need an additional update for root. Since this Root method took care of it without wiping data or a different ROM, the OTA radio update is still there on the phone.
    Yep...if I keep getting positive feedback on this method, I'll have to let the other root process go since this one seems to have things going a lot smoother....now...can you unroot using a method they developed, or by using the standard unroot?

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yep...if I keep getting positive feedback on this method, I'll have to let the other root process go since this one seems to have things going a lot smoother....now...can you unroot using a method they developed, or by using the standard unroot?
    You're gonna' make me unroot to find out, aren't you...

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    You're gonna' make me unroot to find out, aren't you...
    No...I was just talking to myself again....thanks for your efforts....I'm sure you can probably unroot the old fashioned way....that's in my sig.

Actually....we do need verification that it can be unrooted. That's one of the main holdups in getting everyone here on the bandwagon. Anyone want to try?

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    185 times

They say the are building this tool to work with future updates but I would hold off untill you know for sure it's working........

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Well...right now...I've only heard of one member that used this method...we need more volunteers....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Ads