• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[RS Guide] Rooting Methods for Your Thunderbolt

This is a discussion on [RS Guide] Rooting Methods for Your Thunderbolt within the HTC Thundebolt Hacking Guides forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Hacks category; Option I is the only viable option anymore. If running 2.11.605.5 or lower just do Option I. If running 2.11.605.9 you must follow this link ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: [RS Guide] Rooting Methods for Your Thunderbolt

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times

[RS Guide] Rooting Methods for Your Thunderbolt

Option I is the only viable option anymore. If running 2.11.605.5 or lower just do Option I. If running 2.11.605.9 you must follow this link to downgade before doing Option I

Don't use Option II or III anymore.

There are several different methods available to you to Root your Thunderbolt. The newest and easiest method is the Revolutionary Method listed in Step 1 below. However, the Rescue Squad will continue to provide help with any method that you decide to use. We have listed all of the methods below, along with some pros and cons of each.

Option I: Revolutionary, a root tool by unrevoked and AlphaRev
    Revolutionary is an S-OFF (root) and Custom Recovery tool for HTC phones. This method uses an automated program to obtain root on your device without destroying your data. This is the most current and preferred way of rooting your Thunderbolt.
    Link to Guide:
    http://www.thunderboltforums.com/for...data-loss.html
    Pros:
    * If performed correctly, will not wipe your phone and your software version and data will not change.
    * A protected S-OFF bootloader is installed that will prevent an S-ON bootloader from being flashed through HBOOT.
    * Due to the protected S-OFF bootloader, it is more difficult to accidentally flash an RUU that unroots your phone.

Cons:
    * This is a developer preview release intended for power users. As such, it's not well documented for the average user.
    * Also due to the protected S-OFF bootloader, it is more complicated to unroot your phone for a warranty return.

Unrooting:
    *[RS Guide] How Return to Stock from Revolutionary Root

Below is outdated

Option II: Manual Root (using adb)

This is the tried and true rooting method for the HTC Thunderbolt. This method uses ADB commands to root your device and will wipe your data.
    Link to Guide:
    [RS Guide] How to Root Your Thunderbolt

Pros:
    * Not a beta rooting process. Thoroughly tested and used often.

Cons:
    * You will wipe your phone and lose all data not otherwise backed up.
    * There are more individual steps that you need to take to root your phone and the process may take up to an hour to complete.
    * Bootloader not protected, flashing the wrong RUU or accepting an OTA update may unroot your phone.

Unrooting:
    * How to Restore to Stock for Rooted and Non-Rooted Users

Option III: Auto Root and Un-Root
    This is the old method of auto-rooting the Thunderbolt. Similar to the manual root method but different in that it automates many of the tasks for you. You will lose your data.

Link to Guide:
    (Auto) Root and Un-Root for Thunderbolt!!!!!!!

Pros:
    * You can easily un-root your phone.
    * Automates many of the tasks in the manual method.

Cons:
    * Time consuming like the manual root method.
    * You will wipe your phone and lose all data not otherwise backed up.
    * Due to automation, it is more difficult to ask for help to correct a failed rooting attempt.
    * Bootloader not protected, flashing the wrong RUU or accepting an OTA update may unroot your phone.

Rooting Disclaimer: While we do our best to keep you informed, choosing to follow the directions in either of these methods is at your own risk and we are not responsible for any loss or damage to your phone. Our best advice is to follow all instructions completely and to read those instructions carefully.
    Last edited by Tallica; 01-27-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added disclaimer

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Good write up Sele....are you going to "Sticky" porsche's "how to root" method? It would be nice so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Thanks.

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Thanks, this was a colaboration of the entire RS Team. Most of the credit goes to Sid and Capt D. In terms of the how to method, once we verify that each step works (ie...one of us will walk through it) then we are going to sticky it and link to it from this thread with his permission. Still a little work to do, but we wanted to get this out there for everyone.

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Ok...thanks.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just used the new root method. Appears to have worked fine. My goal is to remove all of this ridiculous bloat and increase battery life. Now I'm off to find that 'what's next' thread.
    Last edited by ColoRoadie; 08-20-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoRoadie View Post
    Just used the new root method. Appears to have worked fine. My goal is to removed all of this ridiculous bloat and increase battery life.

I'd use Titanium Backup and "freeze" the apps instead of trying to delete the, That way, if you ever need the bloat again, then you will be able to unfreeze them. You just may need them again...

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmmm. Perhaps it didn't work afterall. No superuser in app drawer (is it supposed to be?) and when I tried to install ROM manager from market, it says I'm not rooted. I re-ran Revolutionary and it says I'm S-off though, so not sure what to do next. Will keep playing with it.
    Last edited by ColoRoadie; 08-20-2011 at 10:07 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Did you install clockwork during the rooting process? And if so, did you go into clockwork and flash the superuser.zip file you were supposed to put on your sd card at the beginning of the process?

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoRoadie View Post
    Hmmm. Perhaps it didn't work afterall. No superuser in app drawer (is it supposed to be?) and when I tried to install ROM manager from market, it says I'm not rooted.
    You might have to download one of the other superuser files....I believe there are several. Sometimes, I hear you have to flash the other file. Just a guess....but I'll be rooting again with the Revolutionary process very soon I hope.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Reboot. If Superuser still isn't there, try installing it from the Market. You can confirm if you have S-OFF by going into HBOOT (power off, hold volume down while powering back on) and then looking at the top of the screen.

Sent courtesy of SID 6.7 and Tapatalk
    SID 6.7
    I'm a fifty terrabyte, self-evolving, neural network, double backflip off the high platform. I'm not a swan dive.

[GUIDE] Rooting for Newbs
    [GUIDE] The Unofficial APP REPLACEMENT Thread
    [FAQ] HELP! I've (insert something horrible) and need help!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads