• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[RS Guide] How Return to Stock from Revolutionary Root

This is a discussion on [RS Guide] How Return to Stock from Revolutionary Root within the HTC Thundebolt Hacking Guides forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Hacks category; These are unrooting instructions for those of you who rooted your phones via the Revolutionary method of rooting. One of the unique things about the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: [RS Guide] How Return to Stock from Revolutionary Root

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times

[RS Guide] How Return to Stock from Revolutionary Root

These are unrooting instructions for those of you who rooted your phones via the Revolutionary method of rooting. One of the unique things about the Revolutionary rooting method is that it installs a protected S-OFF bootloader. This is a good thing in many respects because it prevents the loss of root when flashing RUUs or updating. However, it also adds an additional layer of complexity to unrooting your phone.

The below process is going to take you through three steps. The first will be to download and install the files needed to flash a unprotected bootloader. The next step will actually flash this unprotected bootloader. And the final step will be exactly the same as the older unroot method.

Credits:
    shadowmite, scotty85, jcase

Part I - Setting up the files on your computer
    If you rooted your phone on the same computer, you should already have the HTC Drivers installed. If not, then re-download them from the Revolutionary website.

NOTE: Make sure you don't have any PG05IMG.ZIP files on your SD card. If so, rename or remove them.

The first thing you need to do is download THIS file. When prompted choose save and choose your desktop as the location to save the file.

When download is complete, double click “tbolt” to open file.

The next window that opens will show the contents of the zip file. At the top of the window you should see an option to “Extract all files” click this.

The next window will show the path to extract to, it should read something like “C:\Users\Your name\Desktop\tbolt” click Extract to extract the files to your desktop.

You should now have a folder on your desktop labeled tbolt. Click on your start button and select Computer in the right hand window pane. This should open a window showing all of your disks on your computer. Now drag the “tbolt” folder (the one without the zipper) and drop it on your drive C:\ This will move the folder to the root directory of your hard drive.

You may now delete (drag to the trashcan) the tbolt folder with the zipper.

Part II - Flashing the Unprotected Bootloader (read carefully)
    This stage involves a small risk of bricking your phone. Please ensure you follow these steps exactly. ALWAYS START WITH A FULL BATTERY.

Go to your windows button, type COMMAND in the search box.
    In the Command Prompt window that opens Copy/Paste the following commands:
    DO NOT copy/paste the part that says <press enter>, this is just so that you know it's a new line.

Code:
    cd c\:tbolt              <press enter>
    md5sums hbooteng.nb0     <press enter>
    **IMPORTANT**
    The following checksum MUST display in the command prompt window. If it does not DO NOT PROCEED. Instead, redownload the files needed for your computer in Step I.
    6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb

If that MD5 matches, go ahead and Copy/Paste the following in the command prompt window:

Code:
    adb devices     <press enter>
    You should should get a response that says List of devices attached. Make sure the next line has a serial number with device listed after that. If you don’t see your device attached then something is wrong and you should not proceed.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader     <press enter>
    Your phone will reboot into the FASTBOOT menu. You will need to stay in this menu while you perform the next steps.

Advanced Users: If you skipped the adb step above and entered HBOOT by powering on while holding volume down, you will need to navigate to the FASTBOOT menu before proceeding.

Do not power off your phone and type the following steps in the command prompt:

Code:
    fastboot devices     <press enter>
    You should should get a response that says List of devices attached. Make sure the next line has a serial number with device listed after that. If you don’t see your device attached then something is wrong and you should not proceed.

Code:
    fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30     <press enter>
    fastboot flash hboot hbooteng.nb0       <press enter>
    You should see a response that says sending OKAY and then writing OKAY. If it doesn't write correctly, DO NOT TURN YOUR PHONE OFF, download an IRC client and seek help at #thunderbolt on irc.andirc.net

If it does flash correctly, use the volume rocker to select reboot and then proceed to the next step.

Part III - Unrooting your phone back to stock
    Your phone is still rooted, however, now you have an unprotected S-OFF bootloader installed on your phone and you can now unroot by flashing two PG05IMG.zip files through HBOOT to return to stock.

Follow the directions in the following thread to return your phone to a stock S-ON device:
    How to Restore to Stock for Rooted and Non-Rooted Users

Once you have completed the instructions from the above thread, you will be able to update your device to the latest official release by checking for new updates within the Software Update menu on your device.

I would like to thank the entire Thunderbolt Rescue Squad Team for their work on this guide.
    Last edited by Tallica; 08-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Thanks to the Rescue Squad and jcase, shadowmite, scotty85 for developing this method of unrooting back to stock. Especially thanks to Sele, from the Rescue Squad, who worked long and hard on it.

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Man you are fast, I was just coming back in here to copy the link to pm it to you.

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Thanks for all your efforts. Once again....ahead of the game. I hate to say what I said a few days ago. I was wrong!

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Great work guys! I know you all work hard at perfecting these guides and trust me, it helps countless people. You can see just by the comments left by satisfied members! And just think of how many passer-bys that aren't registered that you help.

Sent from the dark side...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    The heart of Big Blue Country- Lexington, KY
    Liked
    95 times
    Great job to all that figured it out.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    awesome guide, as usual!

"...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Guidelines of Conduct

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    nice writeup

just want to point out a couple of small things,"adb reboot bootloader" takes you to the fastboot screen,from there,you must push power to select bootloader in order to get to the hboot screen.

also,changing directories to c\tbolt assumes that you have android-sdk set up and running,and added to your path. otherwise commands must be run from the folder containg the android-sdk.

last and not least,this little bit of code may give users the confidence that they are seeing the right thing when running the commands:
    Code:
    c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>fastboot devices
    HT0000000000    fastboot

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30
    OKAY [  0.006s]
    finished. total time: 0.006s

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>fastboot flash hboot hbooteng.nb0
    sending 'hboot' (1024 KB)...
    OKAY [  0.183s]
    writing 'hboot'...
    OKAY [  0.219s]
    finished. total time: 0.403s

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>
    the red are my inputs,ignore that my files are being pushed from a folder called "flashables", the important thing is the output after each command line. hope it helps again,great writeup. im gonna poke around the rest of your forum now,looks like alot of good info

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Thanks, you deserve most of the credit. I'll get those changes made as soon as I get to a computer. Thanks for your help.
    And make yourself at home, lots of nice folks hanging around here.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Btw. We used a folder with the exec files for adb so you don't have to set up the whole adb and set paths. Easier for some to follow.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads