• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Android SDK ADB Driver

This is a discussion on Android SDK ADB Driver within the HTC Thunderbolt Development forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Hacks category; As per Google's instructions , installing the adb driver for the Android SDK under Windows requires the installation of OEM drivers for the HTC Thunderbolt. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Android SDK ADB Driver

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Android SDK ADB Driver

As per Google's instructions, installing the adb driver for the Android SDK under Windows requires the installation of OEM drivers for the HTC Thunderbolt. HTC's support portal for the Thunderbolt doesn't currently list the driver. You can however modify Google's USB drivers to support the Thunderbolt.

From the Android SDK and AVD Manager, ensure that the Google USB Driver package is installed. Locate the file android_winusb.inf (mine was found at "C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver") and open it a text editor. Within that file locate the line that starts with "[Google.NTx86]" and add the following lines directly below it:

Code:
    ; HTC Thunderbolt
    %SingleAdbInterface%		= USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0CA4
    %CompositeAdbInterface%		= USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0CA4&MI_01
    Repeat this step under the section beginning with "[Google.NTamd64]".

Next you should be able to open your device manager, and update the driver for your device using the file you just modified.

You can verify that your device has been successfully configured by running:

Code:
    adb devices
    which should output the following:

Code:
    List of devices attached
    HT11VS006882    device
    Note: I was able to get this working under Windows 7 using the latest Android SDK version. Downloading the Google USB driver via the SDK Manager application, and modifying the .inf file required that I launched those applications as an Administrator.

Tbolt Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I was also able to get this to work using 7. I'm excited to start tinkering with it. =)

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I believe the program called HTC Sync has all the USB drivers needed for the device.
    HTC Desire - Application - HTC Sync for all HTC Android Phones (NAM)
    Ignore the fact that is says HTC Desire, it says it's for all HTC android devices.

When I would plug my TBolt in it would whine about having trouble installing the ADB drivers but once I installed HTC Sync it found a driver and used that.
    Just a thought, don't know if that is exactly what you are looking for,

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nukewire View Post
    I believe the program called HTC Sync has all the USB drivers needed for the device.
    HTC Desire - Application - HTC Sync for all HTC Android Phones (NAM)
    Ignore the fact that is says HTC Desire, it says it's for all HTC android devices.

When I would plug my TBolt in it would whine about having trouble installing the ADB drivers but once I installed HTC Sync it found a driver and used that.
    Just a thought, don't know if that is exactly what you are looking for,
    Looks like if you download HTC Sync v 3.0.5511 from the Thunderbolt download page one of the first steps is to install the drivers for the phone. You can cancel out of the installation prior to installing the actual HTC Sync application however, if you don't want the HTC bloatware.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hmm... that link didn't work for me. Did they pull this?

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Could somebody walk me through an install of whatever I need from the sdk to run adb? I am probably to noob to try root right now, but I have been wanting to learn this for awhile. I know there are several tutorials on the web, but they all seem outdated. I don't even see an option for drivers in sdk. Only tools.Android SDK and AVD Manager 3182011 65433 PM.jpg

I have also seen conflicting directions on adding the path.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by luckman212 View Post
    hmm... that link didn't work for me. Did they pull this?
    Looks like the link isn't working right now. Keep an eye on the link, possible that they're in the process of releasing a newer version. I suppose in the mean time, the workaround that I had posted would work if you do need access to the adb driver.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lortay78 View Post
    Could somebody walk me through an install of whatever I need from the sdk to run adb? I am probably to noob to try root right now, but I have been wanting to learn this for awhile. I know there are several tutorials on the web, but they all seem outdated. I don't even see an option for drivers in sdk. Only tools.Attachment 22

I have also seen conflicting directions on adding the path.
    Looks like you've gotten the SDK installed as you've got the AVD Manager running. In order to get adb to run under Windows you'll need to first get the adb drivers for the Thunderbolt installed. Once the drivers are installed you can run adb by running "<sdk-location>\platform-tools\adb.exe" from the command line.

Adding the path information allows you to execute adb and the other applications that are part of the SDK without using an absolute path, not completely necessary, more of a convenience. To do so check out Google's instructions on Installing the SDK. Details on setting up the path are located at the bottom of step 5.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    im downloading the driver but it says 5 hrs from htc's site lol, what is this driver needed for exactly? for adb to recognize tbolt or just to connect tbolt to ur pc?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You need the adb driver so adb can connect to your phone.

Ads