• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How often do you actually pay for Apps off the market?

This is a discussion on How often do you actually pay for Apps off the market? within the HTC Thunderbolt General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Forum category; When I first got my phone, I was really resistant to buying any App. If it wasn't FREE to install, I didn't want it. In ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times

How often do you actually pay for Apps off the market?

When I first got my phone, I was really resistant to buying any App. If it wasn't FREE to install, I didn't want it. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I felt so strongly about it. Let's put this in perspective:

A Starbuck's coffee costs me $5 and lasts me a half hour. A paid app costs me typically $1-$3 and it's mine FOREVER and I get free updates and I can use it when I switch phones! I certainly get more use out of it than a cup of coffee. My lunch at McDonald's is going to cost me $5. Hard up for cash, eat a sandwich at home instead and buy the app.

More often than not -- it's a $1. A dollar! For an app. I think the Devs time is worth at least a $1 if it's something I enjoy.

Apps are SOOO cheap that I can't believe I had such a hangup about buying apps. Certainly all my favorite apps are the ones I have bought. FREE is nice and there are absolutely some gems, but it's no longer a requirement. I have bought plenty of apps to pimp my phone and I don't think I've spent more than $30 total. I spent more than that on the case to my phone!

Anyways, I'm just curious how strongly you feel about paying for Apps? Do you always go with FREE apps? How much have you spent and on what type of apps?

Mods- Feel free to move this to off-topic if that's more appropriate. I was just inspired to ask this question after reading about someone not wanting to buy an app that solved a need. I'm just super curious because I used to think the same way and now I enjoy my phone sooo much more for so little more extra investment.
    SID 6.7
    I'm a fifty terrabyte, self-evolving, neural network, double backflip off the high platform. I'm not a swan dive.

[GUIDE] Rooting for Newbs
    [GUIDE] The Unofficial APP REPLACEMENT Thread
    [FAQ] HELP! I've (insert something horrible) and need help!

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sidsixseven View Post
    When I first got my phone, I was really resistant to buying any App. If it wasn't FREE to install, I didn't want it. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I felt so strongly about it. Let's put this in perspective:

A Starbuck's coffee costs me $5 and lasts me a half hour. A paid app costs me typically $1-$3 and it's mine FOREVER and I get free updates and I can use it when I switch phones! I certainly get more use out of it than a cup of coffee. My lunch at McDonald's is going to cost me $5. Hard up for cash, eat a sandwich at home instead and buy the app.

More often than not -- it's a $1. A dollar! For an app. I think the Devs time is worth at least a $1 if it's something I enjoy.

Apps are SOOO cheap that I can't believe I had such a hangup about buying apps. Certainly all my favorite apps are the ones I have bought. FREE is nice and there are absolutely some gems, but it's no longer a requirement. I have bought plenty of apps to pimp my phone and I don't think I've spent more than $30 total. I spent more than that on the case to my phone!

Anyways, I'm just curious how strongly you feel about paying for Apps? Do you always go with FREE apps? How much have you spent and on what type of apps?

Mods- Feel free to move this to off-topic if that's more appropriate. I was just inspired to ask this question after reading about someone not wanting to buy an app that solved a need. I'm just super curious because I used to think the same way and now I enjoy my phone sooo much more for so little more extra investment.
    I completely agree with this!! Apps, themes, ROMs, etc take A LOT of time to do and most of them are done for free!

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help with the Droid DOES!! Wedding Fund, it is GREATLY appreciated! http://bit.ly/ro3alQ

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I told myself that I was only going to use FREE apps when I got my Droid. And that's exactly what I did, until I started finding more and more uses for the phone. Now with the Thunderbolt I have a ton of free apps. I also have quite a few paid apps. Several of the apps I have bought did not cost only a dollar. They were still MUCH cheaper than a comparable desktop application and have performed admirably. I have ZERO remorse related to purchasing the upgraded apps and will continue to upgrade free apps that do what they advertise.

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I rarely buy apps unless I feel the need to.

The problem is buying an app doesn't mean it will be supported forever. There where a few apps I have bought the Dev either straight up stopped supporting or made it free then stopped supporting.

Honestly I would rather pick and choose who I donate to outside of android market. The Dev gets way way way more money and it is more likely they will keep supporting and making new things. Having a paid app on android market the dev won't see much of that money you pay after Google takes out fees.
    HTC Thunderbolt rooted LTB 2.6..k...........|.........How to turn your brand new iPod touch into a brick
    .................................................. ...........|.........Step 1: Connect your device to your computer
    ................................................... ......... |.........Step 2: Click "UPDATE" in iTunes

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good Post....

wow.... That was my same exact way of thinking on apps.. I have even spent 10 bucks on one app. IP Cam View. It's too cool if you have a ip cam. http://www.access-entry.co.uk/epages..._Configuration

On a Side note. The new return policies little crazy.. 15 mins.. gzzz.

Thunderbolt Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    If I need an app and it costs money, I'll buy it....but I don't go looking to spend money on apps.

Tbolt Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    If I really like the app and the paid version has features I want and/like, I will buy it to support its development. When an app developer is upfront about what you get free vs. paid and allows you to access most of those features (trying it for free), I think more people are willing to pay a few bucks for it. At least, that's how I look at it.
    HTC THUNDERBOLT:

Battery Tips #1 | Battery Tips #2

Current ROM:
    "AOSP" ROM

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The only app i have actually had to pay for was tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Here's the info after syncing my apps with appbrain. I don't mind paying for an app as long as it's something I'm going to use. The fact we only get 15 mins to test it really blows now because it truly takes more time than that to decide if the app/widget is really that useful.

apps.7.13.2010.jpg

Granted some of that $105 is from the free apps of the day from Amazon but there are others I've paid for.

For some reason Appbrain says I have an Incredible 2 but it's my Thunderbolt. Anyone else experience this??

Guidelines Of Conduct

LG G2 :|: Galaxy S4 :|: Razr MAXX HD :|: Galaxy S3 :|: Galaxy Nexus :|: Droid 4 :|: Bionic :|: Thunderbolt :|: Droid X

Tbolt Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by terablue View Post
    If I really like the app and the paid version has features I want and/like, I will buy it to support its development. When an app developer is upfront about what you get free vs. paid and allows you to access most of those features (trying it for free), I think more people are willing to pay a few bucks for it. At least, that's how I look at it.
    This is right on. At first, I tried the free version and then if the developer advanced the app, I would then purchase the upgraded version. Sometimes you just can't tell if you will really be able to use the App, so the free version gives you a little taste of it, and then you can go from that point. Apart from the App market, the devs that put the time into the ROMs and Kernels deserve credit and donations as without their work our mini processors would not be as cool as they are.

Ads