• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arrgghh... phone got wet in my pocket, touch screen doesn't work

This is a discussion on Arrgghh... phone got wet in my pocket, touch screen doesn't work within the HTC Thunderbolt General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Forum category; I had the T-Bolt in my pocket but it was raining really hard and apparently enough water soaked through to get behind the glass, because ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Arrgghh... phone got wet in my pocket, touch screen doesn't work

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Unhappy Arrgghh... phone got wet in my pocket, touch screen doesn't work

I had the T-Bolt in my pocket but it was raining really hard and apparently enough water soaked through to get behind the glass, because the phone starts up fine and even indicates there are voicemails, but the screen doesn't allow me swipe down to get to the phone. Not in a puddle. Nor a pool. Not left outside to be rained on. In my dang pocket. And heck... we have been in a drought up to this point.

I am trying the phone and battery in a bag of rice technique but I am not optimistic. I have the insurance (bought the phone through WireFly, the insurance is Mobile Device Protection Association, but the thought of being without the phone is bad enough but also I didn't have any probs at all with my T-Bolt and I have a bad feeling I will get a refurb that has issues.

I only wish this happened at the end of the contract to start thinking about alternatives...

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Man that is bad luck. Well hopefully the rice works.
    I clean pools and actually get my bolt case wet quite often. I carry my bolt in a clip holster. So the front of the phone is actually a little protected. I do my best to not let it get it too wet though.

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngler View Post
    Man that is bad luck. Well hopefully the rice works.
    I clean pools and actually get my bolt case wet quite often. I carry my bolt in a clip holster. So the front of the phone is actually a little protected. I do my best to not let it get it too wet though.
    Thanks, but that is part of my frustration. I use the Platinum case, and a generic screen protector. But there is a slight gap between the glass and the phone frame and I suspect that's how the water got though.

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same thing happened to my roommate this past week. Even insurance suggested rice lol he ended up having to pay the deductible for a new one.

Sent from my Bolt using Tapatalk!

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    It just gets worse. The insurance plan Wirefly.com sells (Mobile Device Protection - MPDA) does NOT cover water damage. Called Wirefly.com and they can't and won't do anything (its been over a month so outside its 30 day free return/replace; no where near time for upgrade). They suggested buying a cheap non-feature phone. (note to self, never buy from wirefly again).

I had slightly better luck calling Verizon. They offered to see a certified used phone. Unfortunately, they don't have any T-Bolts available, so they offered a ceritified LG Revolution for $99. or a certified Samsung Charge for $149.

Before I resort to switching phone (I really liked the T-Bolt and had no probs up to this point, plus I have two cases and chargers), I may try going to a Verizon store location to see if they think mine can be repaired. In the mean time I still have in the bag of rice.

If I can't come up with a certified used T-Bolt... any thoughts on the Charge versus Revolution?

Tbolt Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Sorry to hear about your phone. Unfortunately, there are plenty of places on the phone for water to seep in...just think about all the gaps around buttons, USB port, headphone port, speaker, gaps around the screen etc. I wish they would make them a bit more water resistant, but they aren't. I have heard good stories about the rice bag trick, but probably just as many bad results. Can't hurt to keep trying. I assume you took the back off and the battery and sim card out before putting it in rice. I would also try using a blow dryer ON LOW, NOT HIGH, to GENTLY heat and dry out the phone. Again, make sure the battery and sim card are out of the phone first. Lots of heat will damage the phone and definitely will damage the battery, but a little warm dry air can help a lot. Personally, I think the Charge feels very cheap in my hand. Way too much plastic on that phone for me. I like the feel of the Revo, but have zero experience with either in the real world.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and miss than aim for the toilet and hit it.

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Verizon referred me to a local cell phone repair place that will look at my T-Bolt and evaluate (free) whether it can be repaired. Appears water damage repairs aren't too uncommon and this place charges $100 to do the repairs (as long as parts are not needed). Rather spend $100 to get to keep my T-Bolt than to replace with a Revolution (or $150 to get the charge). Hopefully it can be repaired.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    The heart of Big Blue Country- Lexington, KY
    Liked
    95 times
    If I know I am going to be somewhere where my phone can get wet I usually try to either not take it, or give it to my wife to put in her purse (which she really loves doing btw). If it is raining I usually put it in my pocket instead of leaving it in my holster. I am that paranoid about something happening to it.

Tbolt Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Yeah, water and phones mixing scare me. My wife destroyed a phone in her pocket on a water ride at six flags a few years ago and that taught me a lesson. I'm pretty paranoid too. If I know I'm going to be out in a huge rain storm, walking, hiking, biking etc, I put my phone in a zip lock baggie and then in my camelback, backpack, pocket etc. Sometimes you just get caught in a wet situation, like the time I fell in the pool while cleaning it...that phone didn't survive, but luckily it was a few years ago and it was a cheap one. I don't even take my phone near the pool now.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and miss than aim for the toilet and hit it.

TBolt Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have had the rice trick work on two different devices. One is my wife's iphone, the other my old Blackberry. Has it for sure not worked?

Another thought is if the way you bought it has any protection (like your credit card). I use my American Express almost exclusively. They offer free insurance on anything you buy with them. They also reimburse you for damage including water and dropping in the first 90 days after you buy it. You will only get back what you paid for it, but it is something towards the next phone. Not sure if any of this applies to you, but many forget this avenue. My wife dropped her Blackjack in a puddle back when we had T Mobile like 2 weeks after she got it. They refunded the full price no problem. I bought it unlocked off ebay so it was nice to be a full refund.
    HTC Thunderbolt | Acer Iconia Tab A500 | Archos 70 250GB

Ads