• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Remove Verizon Media Manger

This is a discussion on Remove Verizon Media Manger within the HTC Thunderbolt Help forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Support category; I've been trying to find a way to stop the Verizon Media Manager from opening up each time I plug my phone into my computer. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckfox2

Thread: Remove Verizon Media Manger

Tbolt Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Remove Verizon Media Manger

I've been trying to find a way to stop the Verizon Media Manager from opening up each time I plug my phone into my computer. I found this on the XDA web site -

Note: To permanently stop the annoying CDROM from mounting everytime you connect your phone to the PC, run the code below in recovery
    Code:
    adb shell
    rm /system/etc/CDROM.ISO

But when I do this I get a message saying there is no such file. I'm assuming the CDROM.ISO is in a different directory on the TB?? Anyone know the answer?

Tbolt Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've used Astro to navigate to the file and "/system/etc/CDROM.ISO" does in fact exist but it is "-r-" so I'm assuming that is read only. Astro does not seem to offer the ability to change that file attribute. Anyone have any ideas??

EDIT: I decided to listen to CaptD and install Root Explorer which will allow you to change file attributes and ta da, I am free of that stupid Verizon Media Manager web popup!!!
    Last edited by jcarson7; 04-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Tbolt Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    There's a way to do it without rooting, I believe. You dial some number on your phone... I don't remember exactly how, but I definitely did it with my incredible after it started doing it
    AMOLED Droid Incredible - Rooted, switching between OMFGB and Nil's Business Sense RIP
    HTC Thunderbolt- Rooted, Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Beta VI

Tbolt Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I found this on another forum but didn't try it cause I was worried it was a joke or something. I guess it may be legit after all

dial ##7764726
    Hit Call
    Type Password 000000 (that's 6 zeros)
    Hit Feature Settings
    Choose CD ROM
    Click Disable
    Hit menu, commit modifications (it will say no item changed)

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Doesn't give the cd option on mine

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did not try the dialing phone number, but fixed with a different approach within Win7

1. Installed the VZ Media Manager. After installation, ran the program once and cancelled all of the updates etc. that it wants to do.
    As soon as you plug in the phone, it tries to start the media manager program with verizon.exe but no longer goes to the web site telling you to install the software.

2. Renamed C:\Program Files\Verizon V CAST Media Manager\verizon.exe to verizon.exx

3. Used a scripting program to create a new .exe file named verizon.exe that does nothing but a meaningless set command. ("set noverizon=") and put the .exe file in the programs folder shown above.

Now when I plug in the phone, nothing happens except the Windows run option box comes up - no prompts for anything Verizon. The verizon.exe program still runs, but it does nothing and you never see it.

You could always rename verizon.exe verizon2.exe if you really want to ever run the program.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just tried this and it seems to be resolving my issues with the popup. However I installed the VMM (Verizon Media Manager) Mode Selector but had not installed vcast yet. Use [Windows Key] + R to invoke the Run dialog. Type in "msconfig" and hit enter. Select the Startup tab. Find the VMM Mode Selector entry and unclick it.
    nrgx likes this.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    All you have to do is plug in your phone then click (or right click) the icon in the trey on your desktop. It will have a box checked 'Launch when phone is plugged in' just uncheck it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by natypes View Post
    All you have to do is plug in your phone then click (or right click) the icon in the trey on your desktop. It will have a box checked 'Launch when phone is plugged in' just uncheck it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Yeah, but unfortunately the Verizon bloatware remains on your computer and keeps restarting itself everytime you restart your computer.

Ads