• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[New Rom] KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu

This is a discussion on [New Rom] KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu within the HTC Thunderbolt Roms forums, part of the HTC Thunderbolt Hacks category; KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu This ROM is based off of Vicious's Miui Ics Rom and runs the ICS 4.0.1 framework. The Rom comes with Ubuntu 10.10 prepackaged inside ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [New Rom] KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

[New Rom] KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu

KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu

This ROM is based off of Vicious's Miui Ics Rom and runs the ICS 4.0.1 framework.
    The Rom comes with Ubuntu 10.10 prepackaged inside system/tools along with the Android Kitchen, which is used to make creating Roms easier. I take no credit for creating the ubuntu arm img or the Android Kitchen. I do however take credit for numerous scripts, enhancements and all other sorts of mods done to modify the Rom, ubuntu img, and various other aspects of the system.
    The Rom is overclocked at boot to roughly 1.8Ghz and stays there. You can overwrite this with various market apps if you want a lower speed, although I find it to be quite stable.

How To Use Built In Ubuntu And Kitchen

Upon first bootup of the Rom you will need to sign in to the market and download your favorite terminal app. I didn't package one because everyone seems to have a certain one they prefer. Once installed, go under SuperUser and enable Root Access. Then enter your terminal app and type 'su'. Then enter 'boom.sh', which will initiate various scripts I created and will start writing Ubuntu to your sdcard(which needs atleast 2.5-3g free) and creates a loop where everything, including the kitchen, is installed. After successful installation (which will take a while), run 'upd.sh' in the Ubuntu environment and install the required packages to run the Android Kitchen(Internet access required). Incase your 4g or 3g doesn't lock-on, find the app LTE OnOff and toggle between CDMA Auto (PRL) and CDMA+LTE/EVDO Auto. Your phone will lock-on after a min or two. Now that you have done all of that, you can start the Android Kitchen by typing './menu' in the Ubuntu terminal environment. There is one known error, and it is only ran into when trying to zip-align the apks in the rom. It needs to have ia32-libs installed, but to do that you'll have to find it manually and install it. I plan to find it when I have a little more free time, I'm a college student ; ) If you have any questions about my rom, have any issues with it, or would like to give a shoutout to Vicious for making the base Rom, or dsixda for making the Android Kitchen, feel free! I hope to do a lot more with this project, although this is already the 25th rendition to get things smoothed out ; ) Anyways, have fun, cook up some roms, and download everything here http://db.tt/tOmrrX0l...
    Also make sure to have the screen on while running the 'boom.sh' script! Sometimes the phone will restart if not, but will install it fine the second time around if you forgot to leave the screen on. Weird bug, I know lol

Mirror1: KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu.zip
    Mirror2: KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu.zip

I also have a rom that installs Ubuntu to your internal memory if anyone would prefer that. The install is much faster for one, plus if you have no extra space on your SD it could be useful. The downside is that it will only leave roughly 45mb in your internal memory when booted. I won't put up any links unless someone asks for it. Also... if you downloaded the rom or are thinking about it, Leave feedback and suggestions! Thanks! I'm also working on a rom that shares Linux and android properties. It will be ICS based naturally If you have any ideas for that, let me know!

UPDATE: The new update feature has been created! Besides just updating various user selected areas of the rom, it also does installations and many more things I will be adding soon. To install the updater simply download http://tinyurl.com/6sc8kks It's a file named 'toolkit.sh'. Just move the file to /system/bin, go to terminal, type 'su' and then 'toolkit.sh'. I think you guys will like it : ) By the way... If you have trouble moving it to system/bin just go to the terminal, type 'su' and then 'sysrw'. It will automatically mount the system for you so you can move the file!

UPDATE: I've been getting ready for finals and have been coming down with something, so I'm very sorry that I haven't been on as much. As for the big news. Today I am upgrading to a new phone, which I will be developing on. No worries tho, I plan on releasing a stable, pure krazykoder build before the week's over to replace the existing rom for the thunderbolt. It will have Ubuntu and the kitchen installed as well. After that, I will be putting my efforts into a new device. Not sure what that will be yet tho. The rom however will hopefully be a stable mix between miui/ics/and cyanogenmod.

I plan on releasing the new rom this weekend, maybe even tomorrow if I have the time tonight to work out the kinks. No worries guys, I haven't forgot about ya : )
    Last edited by KrazyKoder; 05-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    mesquito likes this.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Flashed this ROM the other day and created an account to say that the 4g doesn't actually work.

It says 4g but I'm getting 3g speeds.

Tried CM7 (my daily driver) in the same areas and I get 4g data speeds but I do not with this ROM.

This isn't a fully flegded ICS ROM but I like MIUI and I really like the buttery smoothness in this ROM. Also, the battery life is impressive. Tried using wifi tether (travel a lot) but it seems to completely reboot the phone....maybe something I'm doing wrong...

Going to try the Ubuntu feature later when I get time.

4.5/5

Amazing work but no 4g. Reason why I've gotten this phone in the first place

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the feedback! On the 4g data issue, 4g works, but sometimes it shows 4g instead of 3g when connected to CDMA PRL. It's an issue I need to look into. Try going under lteonoff and selecting cdma+lte/evdo auto if you're having a slow connection in a 4g area. Also, the wireless tethering that's built in seems to work fine for me, but then again, that's why I ask for feedback ; ) thanks again for dropping a response on the rom. Let me know how the Ubuntu works for you. All feedback and criticism is welcome here.

Also, if the wireless tether makes the phone reboot again let me know of any weird or odd occurrences that happen before or after. I haven't ran into that issue yet, but am more than willing to try modifying it.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by KrazyKoder; 04-23-2012 at 10:46 PM.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    KrazyKoder, Thanks for the ROM. Great work!!! I have a problem though. I am new to the whole idea of running ubuntu on top of android. I follow the steps in your post "go under SuperUser and enable Root Access. Then enter your terminal app and type 'su'. Then enter 'boom.sh', which will initiate various scripts". I got the su privledges without problem, but when i run boom.sh it begins expanding the ubuntu image and then everything goes black. Then the phone reboots. From there, I am lost. Any help is appreciated.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I had that issue at first as well when I first ran my rom. The fix is to disable the screen timeout. Just go under settings and then display and set the screen timeout to never. That will fix the rebooting issue. It only reboots because extracting the file with the screen off kills the process. Hope that fixes your issue! If not, just let me know.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks a bunch. I will give it a try.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No prob!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKoder View Post
    No prob!

Nice. This makes me wish I was still rooted...btw, KrazyKoder I love your avatar image.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By the one and only: wicked
    Reader's/Writer's Thread|Tbolt Nick's Audio Requests | TIP: Removing CityID without Rooting | Join in on the Moment!

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    haha Thanks Nick! It just kinda stuck out to me, maybe because of past experiences lol

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok sorry for the noobish question. I have installed the rom scripts etc but I can't figure out how to run the Ubuntu system? I installed the paid for version if Ubuntu installer and it finds the boot loop but fails from there. Thanks for you time!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads