• Login:

Welcome to the HTC Thunderbolt Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Who Are You

This is a discussion on Who Are You within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Originally Posted by oscar615 The short version of me: Almost 46 years old, will be next month. Married 17 years, been with her 22 three ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Who Are You

*Rescue Squad*
    Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar615 View Post
    The short version of me:
    Almost 46 years old, will be next month. Married 17 years, been with her 22
    three daughters, 8, 9, 12
    Live in a small town in the mountains about 50 miles SW of Denver. Born and lived most of my life in Louisiana.
    ex network engineer/cable tv system designer/construction worker/mechanic and so on back through eternity... turned data analyst when the tech bubble burst several years back. Love the Job. I telecommute and the view from my office (spare bedroom) is awesome. Like Sci-Fi, History and Discovery channels on TV. Music? Just about anything that shows talent and skill outside of Rap and the new school Hip Hop. Pink Floyd is my all time favorite band. Along with Buddy Guy and The Neville Brothers. So Rock, Blues and Jazzy, Bluesy Funky Louisiana style music.
    Hobbies? Shooting, Hunting, Martial Arts. I teach the 4-H shooting program in my town. Good to have a new generation of future shooters and hunters coming up. And everyone should know how to deal with firearms safely. IMHO. Never know when you will come across one. Also web design and computers. Run the tech side of my church, Sound/Video/Web etc. Now my first smart phone, the incomparable Thunderbolt.
    Might have to pick your brain sometime on the church stuff. I do all of the web stuff for our church as well. (along with help from my son.)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgist View Post
    This. So much this. I was a competitive rifle and pistol (.22 and Air) in high school and went to college on a full ride scholarship for shooting. I'm a big fan of proper knowledge when it comes to firearms. My son is only five right now and he knows guns are not toys. Even asked me to put his plastic gun from the police costume he used last Halloween in my safe. I'll teach him and my two younger kids proper firearm usage when they come of age. Glad to see programs like that are still going strong.
    Man I wish I had that growing up... I've never even held a real gun. My dad wasn't a hunter, and I didn't have many friends growing up who were either. My wife will have nothing to do with them, so for me to pick that up as a hobby now is probably not going to happen.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Guidelines of Conduct

Tbolt Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I was fortunate enough to grow up in a family of hunters. My grandfather started my shooting adventures with air rifles when I was 7 or 8. Moved up to small bore rifles in Boy Scouts when I was 11 or 12. And my high school had an JROTC program with a shooting team that I quickly joined. Started deer hunting with my dad when I was 13 or so and now also do sporting clay shooting along with pheasant/grouse hunting a couple times a year. My shooting habit has, in the last 6-7 years, transferred into a golf habit though, so I don't get out as much as I used to.

If the wife won't have anything to do with them I can see how that would be a road block. But if you really want to try it a small investment (a couple hundred or so) in a 22 pistol is a good place to start. Most sportsman clubs, or even a local Bass Pro Shop, should offer beginner firearm safety and training programs.

It's not a cheap activity to take up though. Between range time and shells it can get expensive. But for recreation it can be a fun and relaxing time.

Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 (Stock... but for how long?)
    Kids Micro-Tablet: HTC ThunderBolt (CM7)

Tbolt Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Me, I started when I was 6. I started all my children by 7. The 12 year old doesn't get into it so much anymore. Now she is into her friends more than her dad. But she knows how to safely handle one and that's the main thing. The 8yr old has become a crack shot. You start them when they are old enough to realize right from wrong, what a toy is, and is not etc.. i.e. when they are mature enough not to play with them.

I see you are from Texas. Sorry, your wife has drunk the anti gun kool-aid. That is so sad. It truly pains me to hear that. So much mis-information on the subject. It is a little surprising coming from that state. You might mention to her that they are just tools. No different than her car or a hammer or her cell phone for that matter. You might also mention it would be good for your children to know what to do whenever they do come across a gun. And they will someday. Especially living in TX where most people own them. Do you want them thinking it is a toy or KNOW that it is not and how to handle the situation? Sorry for your not being able to try it. It really is one of the most fun things I do. A lot of indoor ranges will give you the opportunity to rent one and try shooting without purchasing one. Make some calls and see if any in your area will do that. Take the wife with you, if she would go, so she can see they are not the evil killers some think they are. After all they are just inanimate objects. I can't remember the last time one of mine just got up and walked out on its own to cause mayhem.... Good luck with it if you do get to try.

Rant over...
    Last edited by oscar615; 05-18-2011 at 04:01 PM.

TBolt Lurker
    Member #
    G-3 Shop,Lot 49 Dajinagar, Near Happy Medical, Warasia Road, Moti Nagar, Kishanwadi, vadodara,gujara
    Liked
    0 times
    The Packers and Movers In Vadodara strives hard to satisfy all of our customers with safe and timely delivery. Our team have experienced professionals who have helped us to earn the reputation and admiration of the satisfied clients.

packers and movers vadodara

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Remove Ads

Ads